Pathable allows you to designate certain pages such that only certain groups of users may view them. These groups can be defined by a tag or category in their profile (e.g., you could apply a "Board Member" category) or can be something pre-set such as "users who have signed in" (as contrasted with someone visiting the app or website without signing in).
Pathable uses "roles" to define who can access which resources in your app. A role can be something like "a user who is signed in" or "Site Administrator", but you can also designate a particular profile question as assigning roles (e.g., "Board Member", "Expo Only Ticket Holder").
Pathable's app home screen buttons and menus are "smart" with regard to permissions and roles: if you set a particular page so that only "Board Members" are allowed to view it, Pathable will not only lock the page so that non-board members are not allowed to view it, but it will automatically exclude links to that page from the app home screen button list and desktop navigation menus.
Making A Page Private To A Select Group of Users
If you would like to use a profile attribute that you assign to determine whether someone can access a particular page, open your administrative dashboard and:
- Visit People > Profile Questions
- Click the Profile Question you would like to use to determine access (e.g., "Category")
- Check the box next to "Use for permissions"
Next, you will mark the page or pages you want to use this attribute:
- Vist Content > Pages
- Open the page you would like to mark private
- Click the "Settings" gear icon in the upper right
- Change the Privacy setting to "Custom"
- In the Roles field, type a name for the role you would like to use to restrict this page. It can be anything you type, but for clarity, you may wish name it the same thing as the value of the profile question that will give access to the page (e.g., "Board Member")
- Visit Settings > Permissions
- Change to "Custom" if your permissions are not already set so
- Choose "pages" from the dropdown at the top of the page
- Add Rule
- From the dropdown on the left, choose the value of the attribute you would like to give access to the page (e.g., "Board Member"). If you chose "Category" in Step 2 above, for example, you should see all the available values that were under Category in this list.
- Choose "Can" and make sure only the "R" (for "read") is selected
- From the dropdown on the right, choose the role name you created in Step 5 above.
You're done. You may add home screen buttons and navigation links to this page using the Content > Navigation settings, and they will only be available to the people you designated.
- To make additional pages available to the same users, you can simply perform the steps through Step 6 above. The Rule you created in Steps 7 - 11 will automatically apply.